Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Winter Session, Week 3

So, I didn't fulfill my deadline of Sunday evening for this post. So to make up for it, I have pictures!

On Sunday afternoon, Mitch and I jumped in the lake. Because we decided, for the sake of a good story for all our winter session compatriots, there needed to be a January swim. This was the lake we jumped into:


Note the thin layer of ice on the surface. And here we are, getting ready for the plunge:





Unfortunatley, I don't have any pictures of me actually in the water as of yet (these 3 were stolen from Kelley's facebook album), so you'll just have to trust that I did actually make it into the water. It actually wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It was incredibly cold, but I warmed up quite quickly, all things considered, and there was no hypothermia or frostbite. I do, however, have all these mysterious cuts and bruises on my legs, which I'm pretty sure are from the ice- Mitch has them too. The experience overall was actually incredibly refreshing- it made me feel alive. We're now starting the conversation around a February swim :).

There is a lot more to say, to be sure, but I was up talking last night until 4 in the morning and desire SLEEP, so I'll give you the actual Hannah and community update tomorrow.

Sleep well, my wonderful comrades...

-Rat


6 comments:

Redcard Sanchez said...

Looking at that first photo, your discovery of cuts and bruises doesn't seem that mysterious.
PS- you are hardcore.
LOVE

Wulf said...

Dear lord, you are insane. I don't care how refreshing it was, I would never do that. Of course, here is it -35, so there really isn't any open water to jump into. My walk to the bus is quite bracing as it is. Grin. Tis lovely to hear from you, blogwise. I should also do more of that.

Kesineeee said...

bahahahah that is crazy, and wonderful, and I think that is nuts, and congrats on doing it, but I don't think I could have. hahaha. Love you!

Joelle Haney said...

Ahahha, you are my hero. Also, the lake looks absolutely GORGEOUS in the winter!

Hermit said...

Oh Ratty, how I miss your blogposts. I assume this is because you are very busy and happy in your Naramataland buuut you should come back to spiel to those of us in sad city-land sometime.
Hermit
P.S. Yay Polar dipping type expeditions!

Kesineeee said...

I miss reading about your times toooo! BUT I am glad, because I get to see you sooon!