Hello all!
So, the first week of Winter session has happened- only technically it has yet to reach 7 days. But the first 5 days of programming have come and gone, and now I'm going to give an abbreviated account of how things are going for me. *
Since being driven to Naramata from the Penticton bus depot, I've felt as though I am home. Just being in the physical surroundings of this place have immediately transported me back to where I was at the end of the summer, so everything from the smell of Alberta Hall, to seeing the office staff, to walking down Ellis Road again have been very grounding for me. However, given this context of feeling like I'm 'back here', it's been incredibly odd to have the community in which I am living and the things I'm doing and the role I'm filling be so different from what they were in the summer- odd and rather disconcerting. So it feels like there's been this grand period of adjustment this week to try and figure out what is the same and what is different, and separate those things in my mind in a way that is healthy (it's a process that has made me very aware of the way that my reptilian brain immediately associates 'same physical place' with 'same emotional, social, and spiritual place'). As for the technicalities of the community, there are 13 winter session participants here, most from Alberta, and I think I'm the most well-connected participant here given that I knew 5 of them before arriving. There are also 2 leader/ facilitator people, who are both awesome and incredibly good at what they do. There seems to be a good age spread within the prescribed 18-25 age limitation (Vanessa claims to be 87, and I have yet to find out what this translates in to. Actually, for Hermit and Nomad, this Vanessa is the same Vanessa that was one of our CITs during our first year at camp. Cool, eh?), which I am glad for as it adds a good diversity to the group.
I'm getting sick with cold, but at the moment it's a muted, Cold FX cold so it's not too bad, but I'm wary of what it might turn in to once I finish the 3-day run. Bleurgh, it's 2 minutes to midnight, which isn't very cool. So I'm going to say toodle-oo for now. I hope that all of you are feeling well and enjoying life (if you're not, that's okay too. But one way or another, I want to hear about it :)). LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!
Bon Nuit,
- Rat
*FOOTNOTE-ED! So, my plan is to be disciplined and write an entry each week, on the weekend (there are no sessions on the weekend, see, so I've designated saturday and sunday to be my 'outside of Naramata connection days'). I'm also going to try being pithy, so that the thought of 'my weekend blog entry' dosn't seem so daunting, thus making it more likely to be completed.
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Your plan to post weekly is awesome, because I miss hearing from you! But I am happy that you are in place where you feel at home/belonging. I need to get me one of them (because, naturally, it's all about me).
Oh darnit, I was kind of hoping you hadn't left yet, but I guess thats okay too, I just need to stalk yer sister then. That is very interesting about this Vanessa person (my evil-wondering mind wishes to know if she was the grumpy/moody one or the other one? hehe)
And I second the appreciation of weekly posts, in theory I would do it to, but I am trying to make myself be productive in other areas of my life so I figure I will just do the best I can (and seeing as it is a way to procrastinate on lifethings I figure it shouldn't be too infrequent)
But yes, so I vote you should tell more about what exactly programming is, because in my head, Naramata is like a vacation type place where you can do stuff if you want to but you could technically sit around being a lump supposedly 'contemplating your life' and that would be okay too.
If you have any time off, you should visit Victoria! I like how this thought JUST occured to me.
Yes, Vanessa was the grumpy/ moody one- well, actually as I recall she was great fun and awesome-swell for the first couple of days, then clammed up and was really silent for the last while. But she explained on the first day here that she tends to go through extremes in social engagement- either being super- outgoing or very, very quiet. It's been really neat getting to know her more these past days- and really seeing the deeply caring, kind, thoughtful person that she is, throughout the extremes. Jobee, your suggestion kind of got me plotting. See, there are two weekend throughout this thing that are different- the visitor's weekend is a time when people can come and stay overnight, and the away weekend is when we can leave for the whole weekend (we can still go places and have visitors at other times, but we don't do anything overnight, see). I didn't have any plans for those weekends, but I'm sort of, almost thinking of seeing now if perhaps I could scoot off to Victoria for the away weekend and/or see if friendslies would want to come here for the visitors weekend. Anyway, we should talk!
Post a Comment