Monday, March 26, 2007

Last week sucked.

Just needed to say that right off the top. You know how people talk about being so busy they can't think, and are just running on auto pilot like maniacs and sometimes become addicted to busy-ness to distract them from their lives? Well, for the first time in my life I truly understand the meaning of this kind of busy. Yes, I have experienced being busy before, and crazy stressed, but I've never been to the point where I actually don't feel anything because my life feels like a million incidents scattered at random throughout a day. I don't know, maybe others are used to it, but it really distressed me.

Pretty much I was at a meeting or event every evening for the past week and a bit, not getting home until 10 pm at the earliest while at the same time studying for 2 midterms. Doesn't sound like much, I know, but it really was insane. The Sunday before last I went to this thing called Holden evening prayer, which is hosted by U of C campus ministry every Sunday evening; it's basically a very nice contemplative service of sorts that I've attended a few times now. Anyway, we were doing a check-in and Klaus (the Lutheran chaplain) said something about being 'retardedly busy', as in we must be retarded to be so busy. While I hate the term 'retarded' as a descriptive term for 'crazy' or 'stupid' with a fiery passion, I think the intention of the statement is really very indicative of how I felt last week. Needless to say, I'm SO happy that it's over, and SO grateful that my experience of that kind of busy lasted only a week instead of the years that oh so many others spend in this state of 'organisational zombie'.

So I was looking at your comment Hermy, and shall reply in this post rather than in the comments area because I'm cool like that. It would actually be amazing if people were to come to Naramata this summer. Unfortunately it's massively expensive to stay, at least if you're doing the whole day program and accommodation at the Centre-thing and whatnot, but I shall give the website hence so that you may peruse: www.naramatacentre.net. Yes, it's an incredible place. There are other options as well, such as staying overnight in accommodations within the village of Naramata, or perhaps going to Penticton and making a daytrip to Naramata or even staying at the centre but not doing the program. But yes, I must say the slightest notion of a possibility of seeing friendslies at Naramata makes me excessively glad, even though I have no idea how likely that is :)

Anywhom, I'm currently in this evil little flourescent-lighted, computer filled classroom-lab thing off the library with white walls and no windows. It has this eery, sickeningly-sweet smell to it and is one of those places where, if you stay too long it makes you question whether being alive is really all that great. I dread entering it but I needed to print off these pdf files and all the library computers are taken. But of course, right above the printer it says 'Please do not print pdf documents in this classroom', but by the time I saw it I'd already logged on and it felt like a waste to log off right away. So now you all know the circumstances under which this post came about, but I have to leave seeing as it's 6 pm and I'm feeling a little suicidal (don't worry, after a little natural light I'll be fine). Toodles!

3 comments:

Hermit said...

Aww no special circumstances to allow your poor student friends to hide out in your room so they can see you to avoid an unavoidable death? How sad...

But yes, methinks that is a grand plan, how feasable, beats me, but I mucho wish to provided I am not busy oh, making money or something useful with my life. haha.

Oui, being insanely busy is lecrap, hopefully it goes away topspeed.
Hermy
P.S. I have the shortest memory! I was just about to ask you if you had summer plans (ie. job etc.) uhh yeah... okay, anyhew.
P.P.S. Please tell me you and Nomad are going to be in town around Easter?

Ratty said...

Yesh, the Nomad and Meself are going to be around during easter-time. In fact, we'll even be around when the rest of our family isn't! See, I get Good Friday and Easter Monday off but that's it, and Nomad has to work, so the thought is that the parents and Jord will mosey off to Regina for a bit of their spring break while Nomad and I stay home. Although it sounds like the trip to Regina might not be happening after all given that both parents are tied up with church stuff until after Easter, and then there's only 5 or so more days after that until school starts again for Jord, so there is discussion as to the reasonable-ness of actually going. But one way or another, Nomad and I shall be around.

Kesineeee said...

yay...I see a group get together forming! Us+chocolate (and LOTS of it)+NO homework or talk of school=MUCHO bliss!