Yes, a posty! Oh my goodness, the Rat lives! Yeah, so I know it's been over a month, but you all also know that it's me, so not much of a surprise.
So, as of late: school is going pretty well. Most of my classes are rather blah, but my ethics class is really interesting and awesome and all that. So I've basically decided that I should really be looking into the humanities rather than the social sciences as all of the classes that I've loved and have been crazy-interested in have been humanities courses (religious studies, film studies and philosophy). So for any of you who were hoping to live off of me, sorry to disappoint but I'm heading towards a life of unemployment and perpetual school-ness, so you may have to make other plans :). I have one friend again this term. His name is Augustine and he wants to be my suitor, which is massively awkward, but at least I have a friend.
This past weekend was the TUXIS front bench retreat, which was rather awesome. The last day and a half leading up to it was massively confusing and stressful, though, as I needed to book a ticket to Edmonton and somehow coordinate actually getting to the bus station with my stuff and somehow coordinate getting packed up at the other end and somehow manage to come up with 2 hours of devotions programming with Kathleen (Kerr), while also not failing my Sociology test on Friday. So it was good times, but it all worked out in the end. Kathleen and I did manage to make up some programming, and we also did not fail miserably at it and people seemed to not hate it, so perhaps this whole position might actually work out :) I guess we'll see.
Man, TUXIS is crazy. There were 15 people at this front bench retreat and they were all people who have been in TUXIS for a long time and are all people who really care about one another and are all mature people in leadership positions within the parliament, and yet in the course of one weekend there managed to be at least two fairly substantial conflicts and at least half of the people in tears at one point or another. And of course I have no idea what was going on or who was involved, I just know that people were upset for some reason or another. I think that the combination of really caring about something, really caring about each other and having 8 hours of sleep total in a weekend make such a gathering a breeding-pot for drama. But I have to say that it's pretty amazing that I was totally unaware of these little under-the-surface conflicts and tensions until this session, and am just now gaining entry into the wide-world of TUXIS interactions. It really is crazy how these things can function in a totally covert way, only really being seen if you're close to the right people at the right time. It totally blows my mind.
Anyway, I have an anthropology test tomorrow, so I'd better get to studying. I miss you and love you all,
Rat
Monday, February 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Heyy Rat! I have an anthropology test tomorrow TOO! How AWESOME...not...augh. YAY for posting for me, I feel so loved now! Love love love!
Dude, I know EXACTLY what you mean about all that silent and mostly invisible melodrama that goes on within a group of people like that. It was astounding, the amount of stuff I discovered beneath the surface of Summerstock last year. It was mostly hate and spite, but the sheer wealth of it was amazing.
Ratty!!! Long time noseeageofblogpost but yes, hooray!
Claps for you for having decided what you want to focus on in life and for having made a friend (pshh to suitorness, jest tell him that Petesly stole your heart and you're terribly sorry) and for doing all that bus stuff (haha I would have had a heart attack and died)
but yes, I have decreed that I must see folks who are in town when I am home so yes, that means YOU! Unless you are at some TUXIS thing?
Hermy
No no no, she must come to see you regardless oui? haha
and uh...what the CRAP is the doctors thingy...it looks either SO creepy or SO dorky...and I didn't have a close enough look to tell...
Kes: looks like it's gone the creepy direction. Oh well.
I should be seeing you Hermy, as the next TUXIS thing is the weekend of Feb 16-18. So hooray! And yeah, I deleted that doctors thing. It was pretty creepy-stupid-like and I think twas one of those random 'I-want-you-to-visit-my-blog' type random things. Crazy.
ahaha thats so weird...
I think you may just suffer from term 2 blues. I suffer from it, as do many people that I know. I think that everyone I've talked to has found their second term boring and dumb... but reading week is coming up! Yaaay! And Reading Week is particularily exciting because I know the reason it was created! A few fourth years in my soci/cultural anthro last term were telling me that the highest suicide rate in college students was during that week, so the college gods thought they'd just give it to us off (and for midterms). Myth? Truth? I don't know, but it makes a good story!
Holy smokes post!
The whole friend-who-wishes-to-be-suitor situation amuses me soso much. I'm totally with Hermit on informing him that you are hopelessly in love with your cat, and therefore have sworn off all humanoid relationships. Bahaha. But really - maybe not. (*wheeze*)
I'm thinking that the courses you say you majorly appreciate sound rather interesting indeed. I am thinking muchly of taking such things (specifically anthropology) for some of my non-music options.
Post a Comment